web tracker


Monday, December 19, 2005
 
Down-Shifting Our Child’s Education. Or Improving. Depends on How You Look at It, Really.
Mia is back in “daycare” as of this morning. The same one she “graduated” from in August when we moved her to “preschool.” Yes, the “situation in progress” from late last week blossomed into full-on drama / nuclear chaos. When we last left you, gentle reader, we’d been offered a chance to get out of our contract (along with Mia’s cousin) at the end of the month. I happened by the preschool at lunch on Friday to drop off some stuff for the “Christmas feast” (after-nap snack, really) and had an impromptu meeting with the owner / resident wacko. She ran the gamut of insults to everyone associated or affiliated with, or sympathetic to, our cause and the prospective preschool we’re moving Mia to . . . including my wife and sister-in-law (in-law)*. Very harsh stuff, really. I bit my tongue and pussily** decided to write a strongly worded letter to her once our child was safe from her clutches.

I called my sister-in-law (in-law) to let her know about my talk and warn her that the woman had basically labeled her as the worst kind of bitch. I later went to pick Mia up and the owner / resident wacko asked, “Will we see you on Monday, dad?” And I was, like, “Uh, yeah.”

What I didn’t know at the time was that she and my sister-in-law (in-law) had had an explosive phone conversation where the f-bomb was dropped and lawsuits were threatened (and invited). Soon after, our previous daycare provider (another target of the crazy lady’s hostility) offered to keep Mia and her cousin for the rest of this month and all of next month for a very reasonable flat rate. So we kissed the rest of our December tuition (and prepaid lunches) goodbye, and said hello to SANITY.

Anyway, they’re gonna be playing all day*** (mostly) for the next six weeks and then starting a new preschool at the end of January.


In other news: House? Cleaner. Office? Rearranged. CD burner? Working steadily. “Holiday” surprises and Christmas cards? Mostly going out late, or on time (as applicable).



* She’s married to my wife’s brother. If he’s my brother-in-law, then his wife . . . how are we related? I ask you.

** I like this. Not as a characterization of myself (as accurate as it may be), but as a word.

*** Not that different from what they've been doing for the past few weeks (for which we've been paying 33% more than the "daycare" rate).