web tracker


Monday, November 15, 2004
 
Best Way to Turn $20 into $5.35? (Hint: It Involves Poker.)
Haven’t had much of a chance to play poker in the past several months. Seeing as we’re not gonna stop playing in our bands, and we can’t stop being parents, looks like that gambling addiction will stay in the trunk.

However, we’re trying to put together a semi-regular family game. Yesterday, it was our niece’s belated birthday party, for which a group of us related-types helped break in my not-so-new-but-wholly-unused poker chips. I think the pot was over $60. Michelle and I contributed (in every sense of the word) $10 each. Michelle chased two hands (back to back!) and lost most of her money (giving me the rest). I didn’t see any great cards, and only won a single large pot (on pure luck). We were running short on time, so we set an ending point (that luckily came with me still holding chips).

I think the whole thing lasted just an hour and a half.

I don’t think we can afford to have family games that follow a similar pattern. My brother-in-law, on the other hand, can afford it very nicely.