web tracker


Thursday, October 07, 2004
 
Kamikaze Reading Hour
I’ve been trying to keep up with my resolved reading schedule, which means I need to read 12 books this year. It think I’m on pace to meet that goal, although I slacked a bit this Summer.

Last night, I finished a real page-turner called The Girl Who Played Go by Shan Sa. It’s the story of a Manchurian girl and a Japanese soldier whose lives become entangled in pre-World War II China. I’d recommend it, highly, although many people don’t share my taste in books and might not enjoy its stark / spare imagery and characterization, sharp yet poetic language, sudden flourishes of violence, Asian historical anecdotes, and forays into erotica. But the combination of these make for a very languid, pleasing read.

I give it 8 shots out of a possible 10.