web tracker


Wednesday, October 20, 2004
 
Jeremy Spoke in Claa-aas TodaaaaaaAAAAY . . . HOOO, HOOO, HOOO, HOOO, HOOO, HOOO, HOOO
First of all, I guess I should apologize to Michelle for my behavior last night. This “behavior” included watching baseball. And, for that, I am sorry. I guess it’s just because it’s the Yankees and Red Sox, with the latter trying to do something no baseball team has ever done before. Against the team that represents everything that is bad (and sacred) about baseball.

Also, for those of you who, like my wife, weren’t paying attention, A-Rod is a big fat cheater.

Go Red Sox!

---------------

Here are two observations that have me questioning just how specialized broadcast media and advertising have become:

-- I’ve noticed that all the Wal-Mart “testimonial” commercials I see feature people with Southern accents. Being in the South, this doesn’t surprise me. Except when I think about whether the Wal-Mart commercials in New England feature people with Bostonian accents. I mean, how region-specific is Wal-Mart’s advertising?

-- When I drive home after picking Mia up from daycare, I usually don’t listen to CDs, unless I have something dance-y / bouncy / upbeat in my car (because I’m not sure I need to subject my 2-year-old to moody post-rock or loudly melodramatic British guitar rock). So, I surf the radio stations. And I’ve noticed a peculiar trend. The “80s, 90s, and today” station, the “classic rock” station, and the “new rock” station all seem to play Pearl Jam and/or Red Hot Chili Peppers for the drive home. A lot. These bands represent a very, very small part of their respective potential playlists, yet I hear those bands all the time. Now, if you like Pearl Jam and/or Red Hot Chili Peppers, then that’s great. I don’t have much of an opinion either way about either band, so . . . y’know. Has anyone else noticed this in their Arbitron-tested, inoffensive, market-tested, commerical-drowned radio broadcast area?