web tracker


Monday, June 07, 2004
 
America Loves a Winner, Part 49
You all know what a cynical fuck I am about how the general populous of this Great Nation™ is always quick to get behind a proven winner. And you know I’m not a big fan of “sports” that involve cars driving around in a circle. When the cars are horses, I’m mildly more interested (especially when there’s money on the line). And when it’s a horse going for the Triple Crown (oh! The VISA Triple Crown™) . . . well, that’s more interesting still.

I had the T.V. in our bedroom on while I was bathing Mia Saturday evening. As I was helping and cleaning Mia and watching her play in the tub, I could step into the hall and watch the race hype. All the talk about Smarty Jones. The horse and rider from numerous angles. The applause as they rode onto the track. Everything seemed so preordained, didn’t it?

Lemme tell you how gripped I was as they came around that final turn, how I’d been watching Birdstone tear out of nowhere to challenge for the lead. And lemme tell you how I laughed and laughed and laughed when Birdstone crossed the finish line first.

All those dejected people in the stands made me smile.

Why are Americans so in love with happy, predictable endings? I ask you, The Internet.