web tracker


Monday, March 22, 2004
 
I’ll be Running Up that Hill
It’s funny how we, as Americans (or human beings, even), can shrug off our failings in the areas of regimented betterment / self-improvement. This is evidenced by how seldom we reflect back in, say, March to our “resolutions” made two months earlier. There’s all this hype surrounding those early days of a New Year™ and how we have to make a fresh start and kick the bad habits. So, we resolve to take control and make changes for the better . . . and then forget that we’ve made these promises to ourselves. We block it all out.

Well, because my life is nothing without self-indulgent reflection, I’ll let you know how I’m doing on my resolutions.

Not good.

I’m reminded of this every time I run up the stairs (two at a time) at work, which I do several times a day. It’s usually just one floor at a time, and I’m still winded. This pizza-every-other-day “diet” is taking its toll. And I’ve done nothing in my increased activity / workout resolution.

I have, however, been working on my movie-watching and book-reading. I made very modest resolutions to watch a movie a week and read a book a month. So far, after 12 weeks, I’ve watched four movies (plus a re-watching of Silverado) and read five books (ahem . . . one book and four graphic novels, one of which I’d read before). I seem to be on pace with the latter resolution; I have a pile of books in my nightstand / shelf to read, and I’m currently working on The Da Vinci Code (clumsy writing, but engrossing nonetheless). As for the movies . . . well, I’m obviously behind pace. We’ve borrowed 28 Days Later from Michelle’s sister, and I have Bend It like Beckham from mom’s Netflix account. And the Amelie DVD, which we haven’t made time to watch.

So, here’s where I make my stand. And honey . . . you’re either with me, or against me.