web tracker


Tuesday, May 13, 2003
 
Listening (and Blogging) . . . When I Should be Working
I was making some revisions to a mind-numbingly boring report on arsenic and chlordane contamination in Orlando and listening to a mix tape I made in July 1996. "Professional Widow" by Tori Amos came on, and I was instantly distracted.

If you've never heard the song (or heard of the song), it was theorized that the song was written about Courtney Love. Well, listening to the song reminded me of that and, well, I needed to break away from my work. So, I Googled their names and came up with this site, which touches on the controversy. (It appears that Tori was frequently questioned about the connection, but that Courtney wasn't really aware of it. Probably had something to do with the smack.)

Then, found lyrics to the song. Too many coincidences, like the Wizard of Oz/ Dark Side of the Moon connection? You be the judge.

Most intriguing, though, is what doesn't appear in the official lyrics. At the end of the song, she's singing "She will supply" over and over again, and then she trails into "Give me peace . . . love . . . give me peace . . . love . . . peace" back and forth, and then she goes "Give me peace . . . love . . . and a hard cock!" You really have to listen to hear it, but there it is.

And I think that seals the deal for me.