web tracker


Friday, May 16, 2003
 
Life in the Music City . . . Wonder What That's Like
Well, I've gone and done it. It's Volume 2 of the Kamikaze Lunchbreak CD series. This one is a lot like Volume 1. And for those of you who missed out on that one, here's your chance. I burned one extra copy to trade, and I'm offering these people first dibs: Dan, Vectorgirl, Rob, Kat, Jules, and Beca (the runners-up from the infamous quiz).

As usual, it's a little heavy on shoegaze-rock (Chapterhouse, Slowdive, and Swoon 23). This time I threw in some old-school modern rock classics (The Church and Cocteau Twins), some 90s radio rock (Ben Folds Five and PJ Harvey), and some recent radio rock (Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave [!], and The Kills). And then there's some obscure stuff like The Organ, The Mountain Goats, and Linoleum. Nineteen songs clocking in at around 75 minutes.

So, here's what I need: whatever you got . . . almost. I hate Jimmy Buffett, Blues Traveler, most neu-metal, and all country music. Other stuff is fine, with an emphasis on variety. My jazz collection is thin (read: non-existent), but keep it sultry. I'm a whore for the 80s, so that's always cool. A little rap is okay. Quirky, silly music better be funny, or I'll make fun of it (and you) . . . think They Might be Giants and The Dead Milkmen. And, of course, indie rock (all flavors) is pretty safe.

Now, e-mail your response to the address in the upper left. First one of you that think you can please-please me will get the disc.

Next up is the three-disc summer collection. (I love doing seasonal mix tapes/CDs.) But because I hate the summer (here), it'll be an emotional rollercoaster ride. The first disc will likely be a good party collection . . . lots of up-beat songs and 80s favorites. The second disc will likely be more frenetic and punctuated with angry songs, and the third disc even moreso, eventually devolving into haunting dirges and depression. So, that's June, July, and August. September is my birthday month, so I'll probably use that month to do an "essence of Scott" CD that someone asked about. It'll probably take me that long to compile a list of my favorite songs, and the songs that define who I am. (This CD would also be the appropriate place to put songs by my band and my wife's band.)

That's all for now. I might stop by again before the end of the day.

Oh, yeah. JenB . . . your CD will be on the way. I don't get by the post office very often. Sorry.