web tracker


Wednesday, April 30, 2003
 
That Random Wednesday Thing You've All Come to Know and Love
First of all, the Fargo snowglobe came with the video in a special, limited-edition gift set. You can probably find one on Ebay if you really want one . . . or just want to see it.

---------------

So, Michelle's doing the Atkins diet thing. What am I doing? I'm drinking more water. That's pretty much it. Not increasing my consumption of fruits/vegetables to more than a half serving a day. Not cutting back on the fatty foods. Not reducing my portion sizes.

I'm trying to get up to drinking 64 ounces of water a day. It's funny that just drinking 32 ounces is making me pee about twice as much. And urgently.

Next, I'm going to eat that can of Dole pineapple chunks that I've had on my desk for two weeks. Today's the day, canned fruit. Today's the day.

---------------

Since you asked for it, here's my run-down of the Coen Brothers movies:

Of course, Miller's Crossing is at the top of the heap. Haven't seen it? Go get it! Can't find it? You're not trying hard enough!

Blood Simple (the movie that started it all) is really high on my list because, in addition to being a great example of film noir, pot-boiler stuff, it's just so fucking pure.

Raising Arizona is, quite simply, one of the funniest comedies ever made.

Now, everyone raves about Barton Fink being the greatest Coen Brothers movie, but I wasn't that blown away. A movie written during a bout of writers' block about writer's block? Hmmm. I guess I just need to see it again. It's been a while.

The Hudsucker Proxy (the Brothers' big studio debut) gets slammed a lot, but my memories of that movie (outside of Jennifer Jason Leigh's accent) are pretty fond. It's been a while on that one, too, but I suspect it's underrated.

And then there's the Fargo. Wow. It got all the acclaim it deserved. Really.

I've seen The Big Lebowski twice. The first time, I was a little let down, but everything really came together the second time I saw it. I've recently borrowed the DVD from a friend for a third viewing. Hopefully, it gets even better.

The Man Who Wasn't There? Just saw it. Won't likely see it again. I just don't think a second (or third) viewing is gonna make this one any better. Sorry.

So, the only one I haven't seen is Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? I was avoiding it because of my distaste for musicals, but my friends tell me not to worry. Given the Brothers' success with odd-ball comedies, I'm sure it'll be a winner.

There, hope that helped.

What? You didn't ask for that?

Oh.

---------------

Two bloggers are on hiatus (Jen and Tracy). I think Jen was supposed to be back on-line by the end of this month. Tracy will be off until September. The rest of you people on my blogroll have been re-arranged again. (There is a method to my madness.)

I mean, do people pay attention to where they appear on someone's blogroll? I guess if you want to prevent someone from tumbling completely over into certain neurotic overload, you should alphabetize your blogroll. Otherwise, someone might start to wonder: "Wait, did she put me closer to the top of her blogroll because I made her a cool mix CD?" or "Oh, the colors changed and . . . wait, now I'm almost at the bottom. What gives?"

I'm going to euthanize myself now.