web tracker


Monday, April 14, 2003
 
Stats that Shape a Weekend
Number of bands in the Battle of the Bands: 12
Place my band finished: 2nd
Place the wife's band finished: 1st

Well, I guess my Friday prediction was half-right.

Of course, the big event this weekend was the Battle of the Bands on Friday night. When I showed up there for the mandatory load-in/check-in at 7, I didn't think we had chance of winning. But we soon found out that someone in the band personally knew two of the four judges. I'm not implying that the competition was fixed, mind you. One of the other two judges works (indirectly) for The Antichrist (Clear Channel Communications). And knowing that we had a chance to place (in the top three bands) made me more nervous.

We played sixth at 10:15. We had less than 15 minutes to get our stuff on stage, set up, and tune our instruments. I tuned my backup guitar first and then realized that our time was about gone and that I'd be playing that guitar and hoping that I didn't break a string. The monitors were largely not on, so no keyboards were audible. I was nervous, so I'm all over the place. Hundreds of people watching. Tons of flop sweat. Needless to say, I didn't feel that great about the whole performance.

Some other highlights:

-- There was a cooler full of Red Bull "backstage" for the bands. Julie (from Girls on Film) was drinking a contraband bottle of Goldschlagger out of a paper bag. A couple of us took a shot of the cinnamon poison and chased it with the Red Bull. Verdict? Not bad.

-- I didn't prepare for the absence of bottled alcoholic beverages as well as the Girls did, but I did prepare a kamikaze in a plastic Zephyrhill's water bottle. I had it in a cooler in my car. I didn't get a chance to drink it until the next night. That isn't really the most ideal way to enjoy such a fine cocktail.

-- I was having a lot of fun chastising the Girls about their predicted win. Not that they were predicting it. My favorite was when I told Julie that the organizers were going to come to the mic and say, "Hey, everyone. Welcome to the Second Annual Battle of the Bands. We'd like to announce that Girls on Film has already been named the winner, so you're all playing for second and third place." The joke wasn't quite as funny when it came true.

The rest of the weekend wasn't as exciting. Saturday, I played some disc (frisbee) golf (no, I'm not a hippie). Went out to fondue dinner with Michelle Saturday night to blow my annual bonus. Nothing much at all yesterday. This coming weekend looks to be much more exciting. Details soon.