web tracker


Tuesday, April 01, 2003
 
The Issue of Weight
I remember back when I was thin and could eat anything I wanted . . . in whatever amount.

I was always a very lean child. I was able to play junior-league football (up to 120 pounds) in ninth grade. That year, I grew 6 inches and probably added a few pounds. But I'd say from tenth grade until early in college, my weight fluctuated between 125 and 130 pounds.

And then things started to get out of hand. First it was Christmas 1991, when my mom and I went to visit our New England family. I put on about 10 quick pounds, pushing me over 140. And then the ol' metabolism slowed down. Alcohol started to take its toll. I went from 145 to 170 like a fuckin' dart.

For the past several years, I've been creeping through the 170s. Oh, I've abated it by working out some (in spurts). I even got down below 170 briefly. But lately I've been threatening to go over 180. And I think it's happening. Like, now.

So, fuck New Year's resolutions. I'm making an April Fool's Day resolution. I will start taking the necessary steps to get back toward 170. I will make my size 33 pants fit without squeezing my gut in. I will get back to where I can run up a flight of stairs and not have to spend five minutes catching my breath.