web tracker


Wednesday, April 23, 2003
 
Addenda
It was somewhat eye-opening that three of the people who commented on yesterday's post actually worked with (for) me at the video store. I knew that "Spaceghost" was reading, but I didn't know anyone else was. I guess it makes sense though . . . Mike now working with the "ghost." And, of course, I told Ms. M about the site, so maybe she still reads it (and commented).

---------------

Lots of great movies came out during my time at the video store. However, two videos spent a great deal of time in the store VCR while I was working . . . from opposite ends of the pop-culture/quality spectrum: Singles and The Cutting Edge. You remember The Cutting Edge, right? The pairs ice skating romantic comedy starring D.B. Sweeney (no relation) and Moira Kelly?

Both movies had their moments, but Singles had that great cinematic-touchstone scene where Campbell Scott's character calls Kyra Sedgewick from the bar. I have that entire drunken speech written down in one of my early-90s writing folders. Seriously, one of the greatest movie moments ever. If I can dig it up, I'll post it later.

---------------

Oh, I just remembered another one. Any of you guys see Shakes the Clown? It stars Mr. Bobcat Golthwait (sp? . . . I'm lazy) as the title character. It's billed as "the Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies." We loved that one at the store. Lots of great one-liners, including this gem: "I got that peanut-butter pussy---brown, smooth, and easy to spread."

I am really, truly trying to destroy any perception of decency you've found here. Or something like that.

---------------

Now, as I mentioned before, I worked at McDonald's prior to the video store. If you think I have more decadent stories from that portion of my life, you'd be correct. I also have a wealth of information that'll make you think twice about eating fast food ever again, so maybe you should stay tuned . . . in the interest of public health!

---------------

We're going to Atlanta next weekend. We haven't been there since just before Christmas, which is a long stretch without seeing the Jewel of the South. We're gonna get our little Mia road-tested. If I run into any suspected "gaybos", maybe I'll get that liver beer-tested.